Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Grandma's Apple Pie (Fay Pie)

I finally found a Paleo Pie Crust I LOVE. I practiced with my aunt this summer and posted the blackberry pie HERE

So, at the request of my friend Jess, I decided to try an apple pie. 

I mixed two recipes just to see how it would turn out. I used the pie crust from HERE and the filling from HERE. Made a few adjustments and kept an eye on it while it was baking so I didn't burn it. 

Soooo.... Here ya go!


  • For the Crust:
  • 2 cups coconut flour
  • 2 cups arrowroot flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1 c cold water
  • Dash of Vanilla

For the Filling:
4-6 Apples, cored, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 Tbs. lemon juice 
1 Tbs. arrowroot powder
2-3 Tablespoons of honey or pure maple syrup

  1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. To make the crust, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot flour, and sea salt in a large bowl. Cut in the coconut oil with a pastry cutter or stand mixer until you have pea-sized granules. 
  2. Add vanilla and the cold water, little by little, and mix until the dough is just moist enough to all stick together (it will still be pretty crumbly, not like regular dough).
  3. Place half the dough in a 9-inch deep pie dish, and spread evenly across the bottoms and sides using your fingers. 
  4. Place the other half of the dough on a piece of wax paper and cover with another piece and roll with pin to flatten but not too thin. 
  5. n a medium mixing bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey.
  6. Dump apple mixture into crust and spread evenly. Then take the flattened crust and flip on top of apple mixture. Mine fell apart but was easy to squish back together and cover the entire top of the pie and press into the sides. I cut 4 slits in the top to allow room to expand if needed. 
  7. Bake at 375 for about 40min. After 30min check frequently to make sure it's not burning. 


Turned out like this:


Obviously it was eaten faster than I could grab a photo of the finished project. Enjoy!

Oh, and I served it with some Coconut cream on top:
1 can of coconut cream (not milk, just the top of it)
1 Tbsp Vanilla

Nutmeg and Cinnamon to taste
Blend together and chill until desired consistency is achieved (close to whip cream). 


No comments:

Post a Comment